Ghat Contact Details
- Ghat Name:Harishchandra Ghat
- Ghat Phone Number: N/A
- Ghat Address: Bangali Tola, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001
- Ghat Timing: 24Hours
Legend associated with Harishchandra Ghat:
In Hindu mythology it is believed that if a person is cremated at the Harish Chandra Ghat, that person gets salvation or “moksha”.
This Ghat is name after the King Harish Chandra, who once worked in the cremation ground here for the perseverance of truth and charity but at the end the Gods rewarded him and restored his lost thorn and his dead son.
This is one of the two cremation ghats, and some times referred as Adi Manikarnika.
Significance of Harishchandra Ghat:
- Hindus from distant places bring the dead bodies of their near and dear ones to this ghat for cremation. In Hindu mythology it is believed that a person whose last rights are performed here gets salvation or moksha.
- Housing the beautiful idols of Harishchandra, Vriddha Kedara and Adi Manikanteshwra, a beautiful temple stands on the side of ghat.
- Any Punya karma, Jaap, Taap, Hawan, Shraddh, Tarpan, Asthi Visarjan done on Harishchandra Ghat has Anand times more benefit than performed anywhere else on this planet.
Best Time to visit Harishchandra Ghat :
- The Ghat can be accessed round the clock 24×7 for peforming the religious purpose.
- The Rangabhari Ekadashi which falls before Holi is a big festival on the Ghat as on this day it is believed that lord Shiva himself comes to celebrate holy in the Harishchandra Mahasamshan.