नमो संकटा कष्ट हरनी भवानी
Sankata Devi Mandir
- Message From Web Gestures Info Solution
- September 28, 2021
Temple Contact Details
- Temple Name: Sankahtha Mata Mandir
- Temple Phone Number: 09452860713
- Temple Address: CK 21/20, Shitala Gali, Garwasitola, Govindpura, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001
- Temple Timing: 05:30 AM -10:30PM
Legend Associated with Sankata Devi Mandir
Sankata Devi is one of the prime goddesses worshiped in Varanasi city. She is believed to be one of the manifestations of Goddess Chandi and also a sister of Vaishno Devi. Her shrine, which is a siddhapeeth, is situated near Sindhia Ghat. Inside the sanctum sanctorum is worshipped a 4-5 feet tall idol of Sankata Devi which manifested itself long time back. As per the local lore, the heroic Pandava brothers of Mahabharata had worshiped the presiding goddess of this temple during their exile into the forest.
Significance of Sankata Devi Mandir :
- Sankata Devi is one of the prime goddesses worshiped in Varanasi city. She is believed to be one of the manifestations of Goddess Chandi and also a sister of Vaishno Devi.
- The name “Sankata” has been derived from the Sanskrit word “sankat” which means “danger”. Goddess Sankata Devi was originally a Matrika. In Puranas, she is referred to as “Vikat Matrika”, (the fierce mother). Sankata Devi is believed to have ten hands and the power to protect faraway husbands and to ensure their safe return.
- During the Navratri, the eighth day is dedicated to Goddess Sankata Devi. The devotees pray to the deity with to avoid any danger in life or to alleviate any present crisis. It is also believed that the Pandavasduring their exile, paid homage to Sankata Devi.
- The Temple deity is a Panch Mudra Mahapeeth, when Devi is in this form, she is the taker of all ills, problems ans sorrows and the giver of all health, welath success and propserity.
Location of Sankata Devi Mandir :
- Sankatha Temple is located near to the Sindhia Ghat, The temple is located about 6 km from the railway station Varanasi and about 3 km from the BHU Varanasi.
Timmings and Auspicious days to visit the Sankata Devi Temple :
- Sankatha Temple opens at 4 am in the morning and closed at 11 pm in the night.
- Aarti time is 4:30 am in the morning, Bhog time is 2:30 pm, Shringar time is 11 pm and Shayan time is 11 pm. The Sankatha Temple opens all days a week but Friday is a special day of the temple when special pooja is performed by the women.
- Friday Ashtami witnesses high foot falls in the temple. Navratri and Shravan month also see large number of devotees and festivities in and around the temple.