- Temple Name: Kaal Bhairav Temple
- Temple Phone Number: +91-8953733792
- Temple Address: Pandeypur Rd, Golghar, Naibasti, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221002
- Temple Timing: 05:30 AM – 01 PM & 03 PM -10:30 PM
- Mangala Aarti Timing: 04:00AM
- Bhog/Aarti Timing: 01:00 PM
- Sandhya Aarti Timing: 08:00 PM to 08:30 PM
- Shayan Aarti Timing: 12:00 AM
Maha Mrityunjay Temple Varanasi | Kashi Archan Foundation
Mahamrityunjay Mahadev Temple
Maha Mrityunjay Temple
Maha Mrityunjay Temple Basic Details:
ॐ हौं जूं सः ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वःॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान्मृ त्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात्ॐ स्वः भुवः भूः ॐ सः जूं हौं ॐ
Maha Mrityunjay is the Mahakaal Swaroop of lord Shiva and the literal meaning of the words is ‘The one who has attained victory over Mrityu or Death’. As mentioned above, the Maha Mrityunjay Mantra is considered the most powerful mantra in the universe.
The meaning of the Maha Mrityunjay Mantra is “We worship Mrityunjay Mahadev who has three eyes” Who is “Fragrant and helps nourish our lives”. “Just as the fruit gets freed from the bondage of the branch that falls on the earth, in the same way, we should also be freed from pain and fear of death”.
Legend associated with the Mahamrityunjay Temple :
- Rishi Mrikandu and Marudwati did not have a child even after several years of marriage. The couple then decided to do Shiv Upasana and Tapasya to appease Mahadev.
- Lord Shiva was happy with their prayers and asked the couple to make a wish. The couple asked Mahadev to bless them with ‘Santan Prapti’.
Lord Shiva gave them the boon but had put forward two conditions :
Either their child will be a very obedient one and towards bhakti but will only have a life of 16 years
The Child will be notorious and lazy but will live for many centuries.
The couple was wise and they decided to choose the former option. After some time they were blessed with a male child named ‘Markanday’. Markanday was an ardent Shiva Bhakta and when his 16th year was about to start he went and held the Maha Mrityunjaya shivling requesting Mahadev to save his life from Kaal.
Lord Shiva obliged to his prayers and the Kaal who had come to take back Markanday to Yam Loka was defeated by lord Shiva and he came to be known as ‘ Maha Mrityunjay’ i.e the one obtained victory.
Religious and Astrological significance of the Maha Mrityunjay Temple :
The Shivling in the Maha Mrityunjay Temple is ‘SwayamBhu’ i.e it came out on its known and was not consecrated or Pratishthit by any Individual.
According to the Markandeya Purana and Shri Shiv Maha Purana :
- Devotees who perform Maha Mrityunjay Mantra Jaap in their homes attain ‘Yatha Roop’ benefit i.e equal to what is due.
- Devotees who perform the Maha Mrityunjay Mantra Jaap in a ‘Shiva Temple’ attain twice more Punya.
- But the Devotees who perform Maha Mrityunjay Mantra Jaap in the Maha Mrityunjay Temple of Kashi attain ‘Anant’ or infinite times more Punya.
- The sacred premises of the Maha Mrityunjay Temple also houses Nageshwar Jyotirlinga and Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga of Kashi.
- The Maha Mrityunjay Temple is an ideal place for performing Dosh Nivaran Pujas such as ‘Manglik Dosh’, ‘Kaal Sarp Dosh’, and ‘Nadi’ Dosh.
- Devotees from all across the globe come to the Maha Mrityunjay temple for offering their Pujas Sewa and getting rid of Doshas in their Kundali.
- The Maha Mrityunjay Temple also has the ‘Dhanvantari Koop’ where many Ayurvedic and natural herbs are believed to have been poured by Dhanvantari Devta.
- Devotees after performing Puja take back the sacred water from the Maha Mrityunjay temple to attain wellness and Aarogya.
- Anyone facing the Markesh Dasha or struggling with health issues should necessarily obtain the Sanidhya of Maha Mrityunjay Temple.
- All the Navagrahas are obedient to Maha Mrityunjay Mahadev hence any puja offered to him negates the negative impacts of Rahu, Ketu, Mangal, and Shani Maha Dasha.
- The Maha Mrityunjay Temple complex also has Asitang Bhariav who is one of the Ashta Bhairav. And a Hanuman temple was also pratishtit in the temple by Goswami Tulsi Das Ji.
Darshan and Aarti timings in Maha Mrityunjay Temple :
The Maha Mrityunjay Temple remains open from 4:00 am in the morning to 12:00 am at midnight for darshans.
The Aarti timing in the Maha Mrityunjay Temple is as follows :
- Mangala Aarti – 4:00 am to 5:00 am
- Bhog Aarti – 12:00 pm to 1 :00 pm
- Sandhya Aarti – 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- Sayan Aarti – 12:00 am Midnight
How to Reach Maha Mrityunjay Temple ?
The Maha Mrityunjay Temple is Located in the Varanasi District of Uttar Pradesh.
The Temple is located in the Daranagar area of Varanasi.
The Maha Mrityunjay Temple is at equidistant from the Kaal Bhairav and Kashi Vishwanath Temple of Varanasi i.e 1km. The Maha Mrityunjat temple is easily accessible by roads both from the Railway station (5km) and the Varanasi Airport.
E-Rickshaws and Private cars are the best mode of Transport to reach the Maha Mrityunjay Temple.
Main festivals of the Maha Mrityunjay Temple:
There are 4 main Sringar festivals celebrated in the Maha Mrityunjay Temple. The Annakut festival sringar is the most popular one. In the Annakut Festival, ‘Ashta Hasta’ and ‘Ardhnarishwar swaroop’ sringar is opened to devotees for darshan which is a divine darshan experience.
In the Sringar darshan, Maha Mrityunjay Mahadev can be seen with Amrit Kalash in both his hands.
Shravan Somwar, Maha Shivratri, Akshay Tritiya are some of the most revered festivals of the Maha Mrityunjay temple which witness massive crowd levels.
On every Monday and Friday, the Maja Mrityunjay temple is full of devotees who come to offer their prayers and perform the sacred Maha Mrityunjay Jaap.